The first race of the year is tomorrow. Am I excited? A little. Am I nervous? Probably more than excited.
I'm not usually a "plan ahead" kind of guy, but I decided to make a checklist for this race. I do that when I travel, too. I'm kinda funny like that. Nevertheless, here's my State Farm 10 Mile Run Checklist*:
- Running gear for potential rain and definite chill? Check
- iPod loaded with the latest Phedippidations and Bill Simmons Report? Check
- Issues to sort out while I'm on my weekly long runs. Check
- Class numbers dwindling (45% drop in journalism).
- Teaching TV and working in PR?
- Potential training/certification for students. Incentive?
- Redesigning class curriculum to fit the numbers.
- How to get kids back into the TV program
- Mental fortitude? Hmm
- It's just a long run, not a race
- You've rested your IT band/leg for 2 weeks now.
- You have ibuprofen
- Pain is weakness leaving the body
- You will finish this race
- If you can do this, the HM will be a snap
- Don't say "snap"
- Don't think about your knee
- Pray that there aren't many hills.
*maybe if I pimp State Farm long enough, I can get free insurance. Kinda like Vanilla and his new shoes.
**Read the latest Open Mic feature at Runner's Lounge on Topher. It's a great read about a kewl guy. I highly recommend it.