Well, folks. I've given this a lot of thought and planning, but this will have to be my last post.
Maybe even for a week.
I am going to be gone next week. Do I get to travel to cool places like P.O.M and Non-Runner Nancy? Not quite.
Will I be living in a hotel like Laura does? Not. Even. Close.
So where does RazZDoodle get to go?
To sunny, beautiful Lincoln, Nebraska!
That's right. Our fair state's capital city beckons me. I am an adviser at a journalism workshop from Sunday through Thursday. 300+ high school journalism geeks and 8 of my colleagues will attempt to impart some knowledge on tomorrow's reporters and try to stay sane. It's actually a lot of fun. I have a lot of fun with the other advisers, so that makes everything else more than tolerable. What is "everything else" you ask? Let me tell ya:
- It's late-July in Nebraska. Not really conducive for spending a lot of time outside. Which we'll do when we start shooting stories.
- I'm living in a dorm. Let me repeat that. I'm living in a dorm. Not quite the 4 star, 5 diamond places that I'm accustomed to.
- All-you-can-eat dorm food.
- I'm spending 4.5 days with 300+ high school students.
There are some upsides to this:
- Colleagues that know how to have a good time.
- An opening dinner that's held at, quite possibly, one of the best steakhouses I've been to. It's paid for and it's an open bar. That, in and of itself , is worth it.
- I have found one of the best coffeehouses ever (even better than 'bucks!) and it's only :30 away from where I'll be teaching.
- I get to run past this view every morning that I'm there:
You may recognize this. This is mecca for Nebraska sports fans. Of course I speak of the hallowed Memorial Stadium, home of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.
- 5 National Championships
- 3 Heisman Trophy Winners
- An NCAA-record 289 consecutive sellouts. (since 1962)
- A 46-17-2 record versus the Colorado Buffaloes
Yeah, that pretty much balances everything out.
Hopefully, I'll be able to drop in and make some pithy comments, but remember me fondly if I can't.