I've managed to let anyone know that comes across my path (friends, family, students, staff, dog, etc.) that I'm running a marathon in less than 2 weeks. The conversations go something like this:
UNSUSPECTING SOUL: So, how did your Christmas go? Get anything good?
ME: Oh, I got some gift cards, some clothes, and a plane ticket to Phoenix.
US: Phoenix? When do you go to Phoenix?
ME: In a couple of weeks. See, I'M RUNNING A MARATHON!
US: Oh, how long is a marathon?
UNSUSPECTING SOUL #2: How was your break?
ME: Good, how was yours?
US: Oh well, my dad was really sick, so we spent a lot of time at the hos-
ME: I'M RUNNING A MARATHON IN 2 WEEKS!!!!!
Tis the season.
- Because some douchebag threatened to blow up a plane a few years ago with a bottle of Scope, I now have to familiarize myself with how much 3 ounces is. Unfortunately, I discarded my scale years ago when I got busted for blow. Ha!
- I actually ran this morning. Not too bad, but the treadmill is really becoming a crutch. Unless tectonic shifts have altered the Phoenix landscape in the past 10 years, I don't remember the Valley of the Sun having more elevation than 1.5 on the 'mill.
- I am getting zero work done at school. None. I'd say my students are noticing a difference, but I doubt it.
- Lately, Facebook is a reminder of how much of a geek I was in high school and college. You may find this hard to believe, but I was a bit obnoxious in my misspent youth.
- Bib #7105 for your stalking pleasure. The officials at PFCRNRAZ tell me that you'll be able to track my progress on race day. No comment on whether they change the name of the race for next year so I don't have to keep typing PFCRNRAZ. FWIW.