I've noticed, though, that when it comes to running, I am quite the opposite. Things need to be "just so". Here is how my ritual/routine goes for a run:
- I have to lay my stuff out the night before. That's more of a courtesy than it is OCD-like. I rustled around one morning for my winter gear and woke up my wife. I love her dearly, but she's a BIT cranky in the morning.
- I lay my stuff out in order of layers. Outer stuff (windjacket, windpants, etc.) on the bottom of the pile, compression stuff on top.
- Socks have to go on BEFORE the tights.
- My iPod shuffle has to be clipped on BEFORE putting on the outer layer. That way the cord doesn't bounce around and get in my way.
- Said shuffle needs to be clipped on my right hip.
- Road ID strapped onto my left ankle. Has. To.
- House key goes in my right glove or tied to my right shoe.
- Garmin always goes on last. And on my right wrist (I'm left handed).
- Shoes on.
- Hat and gloves on before I open the front door to leave.
I don't know what it is, but I'm really weird about the shoes that I'm currently running in. Once I've retired them, I beat the crap out of them, but when they're in rotation, it's another story. I always feel weird wearing my shoes for anything other than running. Even if it's going to the grocery store to pick up a few things, it's still weird. Like I'm putting extra stress on these poor soles (get it? soles? funny AND good looking! A blessing and a curse.).
Believe me, when one of those things are off, the whole run is off. I think I just need to run naked and purge myself of this affliction. Are you ready? Who's with me?? LET'S GO!!!