Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Virtual Race!

I'm going to get right into this post.  I'll save the "Razz knocking on death's door with the flu" post for later.  No one seemed too concerned of my whereabouts in the blogosphere, so whatever.

Don't worry.....I'm fine now.

In my...*sigh*....fleeting moments of lucidity, however, I've managed to concoct a Virtual Race.  I've seen too much damn snow and too many single digit temperatures or temps starting with a "1".  We've all bitched about it, but now we need to do something about it.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I invite you all to the inaugural:

"Global Warming, My Ass!* 6.66 Mile Run"

WHAT:  It's a 6.66 mile virtual race.  I thought that was pretty clear in the title.  Xenia picked the distance.  She thought it was appropriate.
WHO:  Anyone who has a blog.  I would've included an "Even Ian!" joke here, but he's been en fuego! over at Half Fast lately.
WHEN:  Any time between March 5, 2010 and March 14th, 2010.  9 days, people....that includes 2 weekends.  It hurts to be this generous.
WHERE:  I don't care.  Treadmill, trail, track, Alter G/Michael Jackson sleep tank contraption.  Get it done.
WHY:  BECAUSE I'M SICK OF THIS GODDAMNED WEATHER AND I LIKE YOU PEOPLE!!!!
HOW:  Here are the rules:
  • Meet the aforementioned Intro to Journalism-style 5 W's and H criteria.
  • Leave a comment on this post saying "I'm in".  
    • Don't post aforementioned "I'm in" in upcoming and/or previous side-splitting, heartstring-tugging posts 
    • Don't make a pithy comment about my superior writing style and assume I think you're registered.  I'm not a mind-reader, people.  Deadline for entry is March 4, 2010, 11:59pm CST.
  • You have to complete 6.66 miles.  Unlike most races, I don't care how you get it done.  Just Get. It. Done.  For example, if you think you can win with 3 2.22 mile tempo runs, go for it.  BUT, for every race that you do, I expect a race report for each one.  Hell, you could even do a relay although I'm only doling out 1 prize for the "team."  We're going by the honor system, folks.  If you're cheating to win a virtual race, well....I mean.....that's kinda respectable in a scumbag kind of way.
  • About the race report(s).  Make it good.  If it sucks, you're out of contention.  By "sucks", I mean:  "Dear Readers:  I ran 6.66 miles on Saturday with a time of 53:25.  See you next time." I'm being completely subjective about it.  Deal.
  • When you've finished your report (deadline 11:59pm CST March 16th, 2010), shoot me an email (runningoffatthemind@gmail.com) with your blog post link.  For race results, I'll link to it and might.....MIGHT....even say something clever about you.
PRIZES:  Oh...there are prizes.  Autographed prizes.  

WHO WINS:  Top 3 Overall, Bottom 3 Overall, 2 or 4 additional runners (depending on the generosity of contributors) will be randomly selected via random.org.   No age brackets.  No gender brackets.

Who's with me?  Oh, by the way......"I'm in."**

*Ian noted that the comma was essential in the race title.  I wholeheartedly agree.
**Except for the random.org part.  I'll keep myself out of the running.  Get it?  Running?  Ha!

71 comments:

The Sean said...

I'm in. -The Sean

Morgan said...

I'm in. - Morgan (Redhead Running)

6.66 miles in freezing cold Michigan on Saturday since it is my own personal hell anyway. Why oh why did I have to fall for a guy who lives in that god forsaken frozen tundra anyway?!?!? I moved away for a reason! RUINED!!!!

Jess said...

Sure, I'll run the devil's race! I'm in -- Jess at 21 Days.

Ian said...

We can do it in phases? I'm going to do 107 hundred meter sprints over the 9 day period. That might just land me in the top 3.

I'm in.

MCM Mama said...

I'm in! Just gotta think of a way to make it involve beer...

MCM Mama

Jamoosh said...

I'm in...

VRaz60 said...

I'd like to be in, but first, I have to know what I might win for DFL!!!

needlerunning said...

Hell yeah I'm in. FU winter!

Needlerunning

TCHusker - Nate said...

I'm in!

X-Country2 said...

Oh, you know I'm in!

GeorgiaSnail said...

You have a superior writing style!

GeorgiaSnail said...

FML! I blew it already...why can't I follow directions?

I'm in!

Xenia said...

Against my better judgment, I'm in. :)

Turi said...

Hmm, supposed to rain here this weekend. I guess that means I'll need more motivation to get out in it. OK, I'm in.

saundra said...

I'm in.

JojaJogger said...

I'm in.

Adam said...

I'm In! Adam @ The Boring Runner

TooeleTwins said...

I'm in.
Why not?

RunnuRMark said...

What the hell...it's just sooooo enticing. I'm in. You'll get 5 miles of tempo and whatever else comes sandwiched around it today.

Kitzzy said...

I'm in!

Jamie said...

I'm in...

Jamie (Run on Sentence)

Viper said...

Fuck, why not?

I'm in.

SnowLeopard said...

Yup, In. :)

Jeri said...

I'm in.

Since my next week is a cutback and consists of four 7 mile runs, I could probably work it in.

And with that...CUE THE BLIZZARD!

Ace said...

I'm in...the mood for love. Love of not running that is. And I'm in for this fantastic race. There are so many things one could doooo with an autographed picture of Half-Fast...

Pam F. said...

I'm in! Someone has to carry the shame of filling the bottom three spots. One of them might as well be me if it means I score some free autographed shit!

Jill said...

In

Opps, I see I follow the rules so well...

I'm in.

Not sure how I'll fit it in with everything else I'm behind on by I'll be there somehow!

Psyche said...

I'm in.
Psyche at Run Like Ya Stole Sumthin

Mike Antonucci said...

I bend so easily to peer pressure. I'm in.

Bootchez said...

Once I get get out of bed and over food poisoning, I'm in!! FU winter, FU hospital cafeteria food!!

teacherwoman said...

I am new to your blog, found you through Jamoosh, and think I might try and join y'all! :) I have 6.5 in store for this weekend, but will bump it up to 6.66... what's another .16?!

roadtola said...

NARTFULP - what kinda word verification is that?

I'm in

Must be one of the prizes - you can even smell it

BrianFlash said...

I'm in. Little Rock Marathon on March 7th - during the course of this run, I should be able to do 6.66 miles...

Theresa said...

I haven't run since January, so why not?

I'm in.

M2Marathon said...

As a native Nebraskonian, I have to support my frozen arctic hinterland peeps in their Death To Winter escapades (hey, I got wise & upgraded to Colorado).
I. AM. IN.
I'm sure I can find a 60-degree day here between the 5-14. mwahahahaha

Julie said...

Okay, count me in too! I can totally do this:)

Julie at Julie's Running Blog

nrmrvrk said...

I'm in.

My normal work loop is 6mi. I'll tack on an out-n-back to make it a little anti-christier (sp?)

Mortie said...

Why not? I have a new pair of shoes to break in anyhow, and the weather here is sunny, even if bitterly cold. I'm IN

Jess said...

It's probably not smart what with my hip/knee problems, but no one's claiming I'm smart...so I'm in.

Berry Girl said...

I'm in too.

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

I'm in ! ! !

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian)

Amy said...

I'm in. (Amy's Running Life)

Candice @ I Have Run said...

I'm in.

Tammy said...

I'm in.

Tammy (Am I Really a Runner)

Barefoot AngieB said...

I'm In~ AngieB
http://barefoot-angieb.blogspot.com/

SMile4me03 said...

I'm in.

New reader, love the blog.

EZEthan said...

I'm in



-the word verification word of the day.... "teobagr"

Jameson said...

I'm in- Jameson at Crush til it hurts

Sarah said...

I'm in.

southofthecliff said...

Got it. I'm in.

barefootjosh.com

sistrurus said...

Yeah. Count me in. How slow do I have to go?

Neil Z said...

I'm in... Pound salt suckers! I'm gonna lose BIG TIME! *Woot*

Neil Z said...

I made up a new rule for your race. I told my peeps they could sign up here, but if they didn't have a blog I would post for them and keep their prizes...

Jen G. said...

I'm in-

it's on

Corie said...

I'm in because I don't want Neil to have my prize. I'll do the Canadian version - 10.66km ;)

Ewa said...

I AM IN!

Running Through Phoenix said...

I'm in.

Rio said...

I-am-in!

lawmonkey13 said...

I'm in!

Sheryl said...

I'm SO in! =)

EricaH said...

Kind late, hope I made the cut off.

so if you'll have me I'm in.

gene said...

I'm in.

ac said...

I'm in. Look for a race report on Sunday March 7.

misszippy said...

Damn--too late! But thanks to AngieB you have a new follower.

Kelly said...

Darn, I'm too late. Was sent here from Barefoot AngieB. Now I'm following you too :o)

Kelly said...

I'm in it. It's almost spring here, with temps in the 50's, and I need some quality time outside.

Reid said...

How strict are you with that registration deadline? I'd like to do it if you're willing to bend the rules for me.

The Laminator said...

Damn, I didn't know about this. Can I still play or am I too late? (Is it a bad sign that the word verification is "lattes" Hmmm...)

ajh said...

Okay I'm in. I've been reading about this on too many blogs and I hate being left out!!!!

ajh said...

Oops just read the entry date! Darn! I'll enter the next one. You have to do a next one right!!!

Cynthia O'H said...

Just found your blog and would have done it - but I'm a day late. Loved the idea and hope there is another one soon.