Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Would Mr. Inspiration Please Come to Customer Service?

This usually pithy and, let's be honest, hilarious blog is temporarily being hijacked for me being pissy and mopey.

For the first time of wanting to run another marathon, I have no motivation to train for it. None.

First off, I'm injured...well, slightly injured. I mean, I know it's plantar fasciitis, now it's just a matter of how I deal with it.

Secondly, it's hot. Yeah, it's Satan's Ass Crack hot everywhere, but I hate....hate...the heat with the energy of 5000 suns (irony!).

Thirdly, but no less important, is that I just don't want to do it right now. I had a 10 miler scheduled this weekend, and I had no desire to get to double digits. Don't know why, just didn't.

Usually, at 10 miles, I start eating before going out on the run. Yeah, I know about fuel, glycogen, hydration, blah blah blah. At 5am, though, all I want to do is grab a glass of water and go. None of this waffle with peanut butter or banana or yogurt crap. That, and I should probably consider some sort of hydration in this weather. That would mean a hydration belt, having that slosh around, blah blah blah.

I have tried finding Inspiration. He's just not showing up right now.
  • I tried posting on Twitter. No deal. Granted, there were some comments that, on most days, would've gotten me out on the road.
  • My running buddy, XC2. Usually, she's there to bitch and moan and pick me up. Apparently, though, she has her own life filled with stuff not dealing with my issues.. Typical. 
  • Friends that enjoy running, but don't enjoy running. If that makes any sense. The exception to that is the Running Club that I'm in. It's more social than training, but it does get me out on the road. Forward progress, right?
So where does that leave me? I'm shutting it down for one week. Rest my foot, evaluate whether or not I REALLY want to do this marathon and get back at it regardless next Monday. 

Feel free to chastise, motivate, chide, etc. I need it.

5 comments:

Moore On Running said...

I totally get where you are coming from. Not sure if it is the heat or what, but I have been in a funk! Not the best timing as I have a 12 hour race in two day... Hope you get out of it.

Viper said...

We're in the same boat. While I enjoy running, the idea of training is killing me. I finally got in a good week last week, but that has been the exception. Not a good start to marathon training. Hopefully we can turn things around. Cheers!

Nitmos said...

Is there time to drop to the half? I thought this would come in August but July works too.

Confucius say...Motivation must come from within. Look behind the spleen.

Kent said...

I was in your same spot last year, and could never find my mojo. It took until this January to find it again. Figure out the why and perhaps the motivation will follow.

Rain said...

Lack of motivation is such a limbo.
I think it's a great idea to take a week off, and see where you are mentally at that point.